The Institute for Advanced Architecture of Catalonia – IAAC is an international centre for Education, Fabrication, and Research dedicated to the development of architecture capable of meeting the worldwide challenges in constructing 21st-century habitability.
Based in the 22@ district of Barcelona, one of the world’s capitals of architecture and urbanism, IAAC is a platform for the exchange of knowledge with researchers, faculty, and students from over 60 countries around the world.
IAAC’s Advanced Architecture Group is currently looking for a Data Scientist who will serve as urban data analyst, on different educational and research projects at IAAC.
ABOUT THE JOB
IAAC has an established expertise in Smart City projects, as well as urban planning and design in the era of Big Data.
The Data Scientist will join IAAC’s Advanced Architecture Group as a member dedicated to the fundamental process of capturing, indexing, visualizing and processing urban data for the development of informed and optimized urban design and planning processes. The Data Scientist will be developing applied research and projects, as well as teaching activities, within the framework of European funded research projects and the Master in City & Technology.
- Manage and Optimize IAAC’s Big Data Repository: Design and build the infrastructure for data extraction, cleaning, and loading of data from a variety of sources;
- Data collection & Data Cleaning;
- Assist in the urban analytics and urban planning strategies in IAAC European funded research and other projects;
- Assist on teaching software and seminars of smart planning in IAAC’s Master in City & Technology;
- Build data analytics tools for the overlap of various datasets
- Development of web based platforms
Areas of work:
- Urban Informatics for Urban Planning applications
- Urban Dynamics & Location Insights for Urban Strategies
- Interactive Web Mapping
- Urban Data Analysis & Visualization
Required software skills:
- Knowledge of GIS, Mapbox and/or Leaflet is highly appreciated.
Minimum Required Skills:
- Graduate degree in Computer Science, Information Systems or equivalent quantitative field and previous experience in a similar Data Scientist role;
- Experience working with and extracting value from large, disconnected and/or unstructured datasets;
- Demonstrated ability to build processes that support data transformation, data structures, metadata, dependency and workload management;
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to project manage and work with cross-functional teams;
- Previous experience in interacting with a team;
- Autonomous, able to take on responsibilities efficiently;
- Strong interpersonal relationship skills;
- Willing to learn, motivated, enthusiastic.
Language: English (+ Spanish appreciated).
Working Hours: 20h/week
Contract type: Part-time
(Full-time contract will be considered after 6 months according to the applicant’s profile)
Salary: 12.000€ – 18.000€ (Based on applicant’s profile)
Commencement: Mid-January/beginning of February 2019
Spanish working permit is mandatory
SUBMISSION OF THE APPLICATION
If you are in Barcelona, or you are interested in moving to Barcelona, and working with us, please send us your CV and Portfolio by the 15th of January 2019 to [email protected].
Email subject should be: IAAC Data Scientist – Job Application